Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

US military personnel suspended over Afghan hospital attack

Published 25/11/2015

An employee of Doctors Without Borders walks inside the charred remains of their hospital after it was hit by a US air strike in Kunduz (AP)
An employee of Doctors Without Borders walks inside the charred remains of their hospital after it was hit by a US air strike in Kunduz (AP)

US soldiers and airmen who killed dozens of civilians in a strike on an Afghan hospital violated the rules of engagement and have been suspended as they await disciplinary action, military officials said.

General John Campbell, the US commander in Afghanistan, described a series of human and technical failures as he briefed reporters on two investigations into why a US warplane mistakenly destroyed the hospital last month.

Gen Campbell and other officials did not say how many people had been removed from their jobs or whether those high up the chain of command will be subject to discipline.

Officials said the crew of an AC-130 gunship had been dispatched to hit a Taliban command centre in a different building, 450 yards away.

However, hampered by problems with their targeting sensors, the crew relied on a physical description that led them to begin firing at a hospital run by the Doctors Without Borders medical charity, even though they saw no hostile activity there.

Many chances to avert the error were missed, officials added.

Brigadier General Wilson Shoffner said: "We made a terrible mistake that resulted in unnecessary deaths."

Gen Campbell and Brig Gen Shoffner said that neither the special forces commander who called in the strike at the request of Afghan forces, nor the air crew were aware that a hospital was being hit until it was too late.

They did not address claims by Afghan officials that the hospital had been overrun by the Taliban, but a summary of one of the investigations said there is no evidence to support that.

It also says there was no hostile activity observed at the hospital.

The damaged hospital in which the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) medical charity operated is seen on October 13, 2015 following an air strike in the northern city of Kunduz. Thirty-three people are still missing days after a US air strike on an Afghan hospital, the medical charity has warned, sparking fears the death toll could rise significantly. AFP PHOTOSTR/AFP/Getty Images
The damaged hospital in which the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) medical charity operated is seen on October 13, 2015 following an air strike in the northern city of Kunduz. Thirty-three people are still missing days after a US air strike on an Afghan hospital, the medical charity has warned, sparking fears the death toll could rise significantly. AFP PHOTOSTR/AFP/Getty Images
The damaged hospital in which the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) medical charity operated is seen on October 13, 2015 following an air strike in the northern city of Kunduz. Thirty-three people are still missing days after a US air strike on an Afghan hospital, the medical charity has warned, sparking fears the death toll could rise significantly. AFP PHOTOSTR/AFP/Getty Images
In this Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2015 photo, the charred remains of the Doctors Without Borders hospital is seen after being hit by a U.S. airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan. The attack, which killed a number of hospital staff and patients, was intended to back up Afghan forces fighting to dislodge Taliban insurgents who overran the strategic city earlier in the month. (Najim Rahim via AP)
In this Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2015 photo, the charred remains of the Doctors Without Borders hospital is seen after being hit by a U.S. airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan. The attack, which killed a number of hospital staff and patients, was intended to back up Afghan forces fighting to dislodge Taliban insurgents who overran the strategic city earlier in the month. (Najim Rahim via AP)
The damaged interior of the hospital in which the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) medical charity operated is seen on October 13, 2015 following an air strike in the northern city of Kunduz. Thirty-three people are still missing days after a US air strike on an Afghan hospital, the medical charity has warned, sparking fears the death toll could rise significantly. AFP PHOTOSTR/AFP/Getty Images
FILE - In this Oct. 3, 2015 file photo, injured Doctors Without Borders staff are seen near their hospital after it was hit by a U.S. airstrike. Days before the Oct. 3 U.S. air attack on a hospital in Afghanistan, American special operations analysts were gathering intelligence on the facility which they knew was a protected medical site because they believed it was being used by a Pakistani operative to coordinate Taliban activity, The Associated Press has learned. (M?decins Sans Fronti?res via AP, File)

The plane fired 211 shells at the compound over 25 minutes before commanders realised the mistake and ordered a halt, according to the summary.

Doctors Without Borders contacted coalition military personnel during the attack to say its facility was "being 'bombed' from the air", and the word was finally relayed to the AC-130 crew, the report said.

The attack on October 3 in the city of Kunduz, in northern Afghanistan, killed at least 31 civilians and injured 28 others. Investigators determined that additional civilians probably were killed or injured.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph