Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

US Navy Yard shooting: Suspect Aaron Alexis was arrested in 2010 after firing gun through ceiling into apartment upstairs

BY IAN JOHNSTON

The suspected gunman in the US Navy Yard shootings was arrested in 2010 after firing a gun through the ceiling of his home into the apartment above, according to reports.

Former navy reservist Aaron Alexis, 34, who was shot dead during Monday’s shootings at the Washington base, told police in Fort Worth, Texas, that he had been cleaning the gun when it slipped and he pulled the trigger, firing a shot into the ceiling.

However, the woman in the apartment upstairs told police she was “terrified” of Alexis and felt the shot was fired intentionally, according to the arrest report, which was published by NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.

“She said that several days ago Aaron confronted her in the parking lot about making too much noise,” the arrest report said.

The NBC station said the local district attorney's office did not press charges in the case.

Alexis, who received the National Defense Service Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal while in the navy reserves, had also worked as a civilian IT contractor for the navy at some point, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus told Reuters.

A friend of Alexis, Nutpisit Suthamtewakul, owner of Happy Bowl Thai restaurant, told the Forth Worth Star-Telegram newspaper that “he lived with me three years”.

“I don’t think he’d do this. He has a gun, but I don’t think he’s that stupid. He didn’t seem aggressive to me,” he said.

Sandy Guerra-Cline, a journalist at the Star-Telegram, also knew him.

“He is not a guy that talked about guns or talked about anything violent,” Guerra-Cline said. “As a matter of fact, my best memories of him were of him sitting at one of the tables at Happy Bowl trying to teach himself Thai.”

 

Source: Independent

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph