Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

US sailors detained by Iran after entering its waters released

Published 13/01/2016

Iran state media reports all 10 US sailors have been released
Iran state media reports all 10 US sailors have been released

All 10 US Navy sailors detained by Iran after drifting into its territorial waters a day earlier have been freed.

The US Navy said the American crew members returned safely and there were no indications they had been harmed while in custody.

The nine men and one woman were being held at an Iranian base on Farsi Island in the Persian Gulf after being detained nearby on Tuesday. The tiny outpost has been used as a base for Revolutionary Guard speedboats as far back as the 1980s.

The sailors departed the island at 8.43am GMT aboard the boats they were detained with, the Navy said. They were picked up by Navy aircraft and other sailors took control of their boats for the return to Bahrain, where the US 5th Fleet is based.

"The Navy will investigate the circumstances that led to the sailors' presence in Iran," the US statement said.

The Revolutionary Guard's official website published images of the detained US sailors before their release showing them sitting on the floor of a room. One was a woman with her hair covered by a brown cloth. The pictures also showed what appeared to be their two boats.

"After determining that their entry into Iran's territorial waters was not intentional and their apology, the detained American sailors were released in international waters of the Persian Gulf," a statement posted online by the Guard said.

General Ali Fadavi, the Navy chief of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, was quoted by Iranian state TV as saying that an investigation had shown that the Americans entered Iranian territorial waters because of "mechanical problems in their navigation system".

US officials also blamed mechanical trouble for the incident. US officials had said on Tuesday that Tehran assured them the crew and vessels would be returned safely and promptly.

General Fadavi said the American boats had shown "unprofessional acts" for 40 minutes before being picked up by Iranian forces after entering the country's territorial waters. He said Tehran did not consider the US Navy boats violating Iranian territorial waters as "innocent passage".

The sailors were nonetheless allowed to make contact with the US military based on Iran's "responsibilities and Islamic mercy" late on Tuesday, he said.

General Fadavi said Iranian foreign minister Mohammed Javad Zarif "had a firm stance" during a telephone conversation with US Secretary of State John Kerry on their presence in Iran's territorial waters and "said they should not have come and should apologise".

The Revolutionary Guard's 200,000-strong force is different from the regular Iranian military and is charged with protecting the ruling system.

The Guard's naval forces are heavily dependent on fast-moving armed speedboats that can be used in teams to swarm much larger vessels.

Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook told The Associated Press the Riverine boats were moving between Kuwait and Bahrain when the US lost contact with them.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph