Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

US soldier killed in Afghan attack

Published 08/04/2015

An Afghan soldier has opened fire on US troops in Jalalabad
An Afghan soldier has opened fire on US troops in Jalalabad

An American soldier has been killed in a shooting incident in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad in which at least two other US troops were wounded when an Afghan soldier opened fire at them, a US official said.

The incident happened after a meeting between Afghan provincial leaders and a US embassy official in the compound of the provincial governor in Jalalabad.

Nato confirmed one of its soldiers died in the attack without providing the nationality of the killed soldier.

All US embassy staff were accounted for and returned safely to their mission, the embassy said.

It was the second fatality suffered by Nato since the beginning of the year, when the coalition launched its new mission in Afghanistan called Resolute Support. An Afghan soldier also killed three American contractors on January 29. The shooter was also killed in that incident.

General Fazel Ahmad Sherzad, who is police chief for eastern Nangarhar province where the shooting happened, said it took place immediately after the meeting and the embassy official had left.

"Right after the US official had left, suddenly an Afghan army soldier opened fire on the US soldiers who were present in the compound," Gen Sherzad told the Associated Press.

The American troops returned fire, killing the Afghan soldier, whom Gen Sherzad identified as Abdul Azim, from Laghman province. The motive for his attack was not immediately known.

Information was sketchy and a witness told the AP that four US troops had been wounded in the attack - not three as Gen Sherzad said - and were being treated at a clinic on the American base in Jalalabad.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph