US-backed fighters in Syria capture areas in north from IS
A US-backed coalition of rebels in Syria - including Syrian Kurdish, Arab and Christian groups - has captured several areas in the country's north from Islamic State extremists as government air raids on a rebel-held Damascus suburb killed at least 20 people.
Government warplanes and helicopter gunships struck the suburb of Hamouriyeh, which in recent weeks has been subjected to intense government air strikes like other opposition-held areas near the Syrian capital.
Women and children were among the casualties, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. The Local Co-ordination Committees, another activist group that tracks the Syrian conflict, said 23 were killed and dozens were wounded.
The advance of the coalition known as Syria Democratic Forces came as part of a recent rebel push to take control of a major dam and cut supply lines between IS's strongholds in northern Syria.
The SDF offensive started on Wednesday with a push south of the Turkey-Syria border town of Kobani, according to a rebel spokesman, Colonel Talal Sillu. On Thursday, coalition fighters advanced eight kilometres (five miles), inching closer to their objective - the Tishrin Dam on the Euphrates River that supplies much of northern Syria with electricity.
"The situation on the ground is excellent," said Sillu. The rebels are also trying to cut the supply lines between IS's de-facto capital of Raqqa and the group's stronghold of Manbij. Several villages, farms and weapons were taken in battles with IS, the spokesman said, adding that at least 14 IS fighters have been killed since Wednesday.
The observatory reported that SDF captured several villages in the area and that the fighters were advancing under cover of air strikes by the US-led coalition. The SDF, dominated by the main Kurdish militia in Syria known as YPG, or People's Protection Units, has become a main force in fighting IS, capturing dozens of villages in northern Syria over the past weeks.
However, in eastern Syria, IS has seized a district previously held by Syrian government forces in the city of Deir el-Zour after heavy clashes with troops holed up inside, the extremist group and Syrian opposition activists said. The seizure expands the IS presence in the contested eastern region.
The observatory also reported that in the "coming hours IS is to start evacuating its wounded fighters from Damascus's southern suburb of Qadam to areas held by the extremists in northern Syria under a newly brokered deal.
The activist group said that in the second phase, families of IS fighters will be evacuated and then the fighters themselves will leave Qadam, the nearby neighbourhood of Hajar Aswad and the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk.
The Lebanon-based Al-Mayadeen TV said the evacuation would begin on Saturday, adding the thousands of fighters and their families will be given safe passage to Raqqa and the extremists' stronghold of Marei in the northern province of Aleppo.
A Palestinian official in Damascus confirmed the deal, but stressed that Palestinian factions were not part of it.
In April, IS militants infiltrated the Yarmouk camp in what was their deepest foray into Damascus, the seat of president Bashar Assad's power. The latest deal and the IS evacuation could pave the way for other reconciliation gestures between the government and rebel factions based in the southern edges of the Syrian capital.
The Syrian civil war has killed more than a quarter of a million people since it started nearly five years ago, and displaced half the Middle Eastern country's pre-war population of 23 million.
Syria's foreign minister said his government is ready to take part in UN-organised peace talks in January in Geneva and that he hopes the dialogue will help the country find a solution to the crisis.
The UN Security Council last Friday unanimously approved a resolution endorsing a peace process for Syria, including a ceasefire and talks between the Syrian government and the opposition.
"Syria is ready to participate in the Syrian-Syrian Dialogue in Geneva without any foreign interference," foreign minister Walid Moallem told reporters after meeting his Chinese counterpart in Beijing.
But Mr Moallem also indicated Damascus could opt out of the talks if it was dissatisfied with participants from the opposition ranks. The government and its Russian allies have said there is no room at the negotiating table for "terrorists".
"Our delegation will be ready as soon as we receive a list of the opposition delegation," Mr Moallem said.