Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Vatican leaks trial delayed for a week at defence request

Published 30/11/2015

The Vatican judge granted more time for the defence
The Vatican judge granted more time for the defence

A Vatican judge has granted more time for the defence to prepare for a trial over the leak of confidential documents.

The documents detailed alleged greed, wasteful spending and poor management inside the Vatican.

After barely 15 minutes, judge Giuseppe Della Torre adjourned Monday's session to December 7 to allow more time to prepare the defence of Francesca Chaouqui, a PR specialist who had served on a panel advising Pope Francis about economic reform.

The delay was granted because she engaged a different lawyer late last week.

"I don't understand anything. There is not one bit of evidence against me," Chaouqui told a small pool of reporters allowed to attend the trial.

The judge said Chaouqui's lawyer would have five days to formally lodge any observations or potential objections after studying the case.

While denouncing the leaks, Francis has also decried corruption within the Vatican, most recently in a speech during his African pilgrimage. He has voiced disgust for unbridled personal ambitions within the Curia, the Vatican's bureaucracy.

One of the defendants, Monsignor Lucio Vallejo Balda, who headed an economic reforms panel advising the pontiff, is under arrest in Vatican City.

The priest, his assistant Nicola Maio and Chaouqui are all charged with conspiring to divulge confidential documents.

Gianluigi Nuzzi and Emiliano Fittipaldi, whose books depicted loose financial oversight of Vatican contracts, greedy prelates and other conduct unbecoming of senior churchmen, are on trial for allegedly exerting pressure to procure and publish confidential material.

During an investigative crime show he conducts on Italian TV, Nuzzi made public a series of Whatsapp messages between himself and co-defendant, Balda, with the priest insisting he acted with "honesty" in his role and that there was "open war" to control the workings of the Vatican bureaucracy.

Chaouqui has claimed she is a scapegoat. Maio has not publicly commented.

The trial has sparked complaints by journalist watchdog groups that prosecution of the reporters, on charges that could bring eight years in prison, clashes with democratic rights to a free press.

After a previous Vatican trial when Benedict XVI was pope, he pardoned his butler for leaking some confidential papers.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph