Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Vatican rocked by gay orgies and 'murder' scandals

Published 08/04/2015

Faithful fill St. Peter's Square at the Vatican, Sunday, April 27, 2014.(AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)
Faithful fill St. Peter's Square at the Vatican, Sunday, April 27, 2014.(AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

The Catholic church in Italy has become embroiled in two separate, highly embarrassing, scandals.

In one, a north Italian priest has been removed from office after allegations emerged that he had been surfing the internet to find gay lovers and had been involved in gay orgies.

The other, which has generated – if possible – even more lurid press coverage in Italy, alleges a priest in the south of the country is under investigation on suspicion of murdering one of his parishioners.

Father Gratien Alabi, from the Democratic Republic of Congo, is under investigation for murder following the discovery of female bones under the flagstones of an ancient mountain chapel.

The bones are anticipated to belong to Guerrina Piscaglia, 50, who disappeared from nearby Arezzo in Tuscany last year, The Times reported.

The case has generated intense media interest, with some papers claiming that Father Alabi had engaged in an affair with the woman, a parishioner of his and another priest’s church, and fathered a child with her.

Father Alabi has denied all claims, protesting his innocence.

Meanwhile, to the north of the country, the local Curia is scrambling to address the allegations made by a 32-year-old man from Rovigo, midway between Bologna and Venice.

The unidentified man apparently approached the media after church authorities failed to take action following his official complaint to the Ecclesiastical Court of the Puglia region against the unidentified 50-year-old priest.

The younger man claimed he met the priest through Facebook, forming a close friendship with the clerical figure who then confessed his homosexuality to his online correspondent.

In his complaint, according to Italian newspaper Corriere del Mezzogiorno, the man included a record of his conversations with the priest.

In these online interactions, the priest admitted to sexual relationships with other religious figures – as well as members of the Vatican’s elite Swiss Guard – using the internet to find new partners and engage in sexual encounters online.

Following the involvement of Archbishop of Taranto Filippo Santoro, the individual involved was immediately removed from office, once the “reliability of the facts” had been established.

He added that the allegations included behaviour that was “absolutely incompatible with the priestly ministry”.

“Needless to say, the feelings of the archbishop and the Curia are those of the regret and dismay,” a Vatican spokesperson told the Italian newspaper.

Further reading

Pope Francis 'embraces transgender man in meeting at the Vatican' and tells him there is a place for him in the Catholic Church

Catholics don't have to breed like rabbits, says Pope Francis

Vatican misspells Jesus on commemorative medals

Pope Francis fancied me - and said if I wasn't keen he'd become a priest, says former childhood sweetheart Amalia Damonte

World Muslim leader congratulates Pope Francis and the Catholic Church

Pope's bank hit by financial scandal... again

Pope Benedict declined to defrock priest who molested deaf children

Catholic bishop takes stand against Mafia by refusing to confirm mob boss' son

Vatican 'accepted one billion lire' to bury mobster in basilica next to former popes

Priest claims schoolgirl Emanuela Orlandi was kidnapped for Vatican sex parties

Transsexual pornography 'downloaded at the Vatican'

Vatican purchases €23m building that houses Europe's biggest gay sauna  

Vatileaks: Hunt is on to find Vatican moles

Pope's bank hit by financial scandal... again

Police seize £25m from Vatican bank and open money laundering probe

The case of God's Banker: Roberto Calvi the trial begins

Church excommunicates mother of 9-year-old rape victim – but not accused rapist

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph