Vladimir Putin in vow over Moscow bombings
Published 31/03/2010 | 02:11
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin yesterday vowed those responsible for planning the Moscow attacks would be “dragged from the bottom of the sewers” amid rumours of a cell of suicide bombers still at large.
As Russia mourned the deaths of 39 people in Monday's twin suicide bombings on the capital's metro system, a report in the Kommersant newspaper said a cell of 21 bombers could still strike.
Moscow police continued the hunt for three people thought to have aided the two female suicide attackers. Photos were released of the bombers' faces, badly disfigured from the blast. One of them appeared to be a young, possibly teenage woman.
Nobody has yet claimed responsibility for the blast, but all signs point to it being the work of a terrorist group from Chechnya or the wider North Caucasus region.
It has been six years since the last Chechen suicide attack on Moscow.
Citing security sources, Kommersant reported that Said Buryatsky, a terrorist ideologue killed by Russian security services earlier this month, had prepared 30 potential suicide bombers. Some 21 are still unaccounted for.