Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Wildfire forces evacuation of residents from Spanish towns

Published 07/08/2015

The Agricultural Ministry said it had sent four water-carrying planes and a helicopter to help extinguish the fire
The Agricultural Ministry said it had sent four water-carrying planes and a helicopter to help extinguish the fire

A wildfire that officials suspect was started deliberately has forced the evacuation of more than 1,400 people from two towns and two campsites in south-western Spain.

Extremadura regional government president Guillermo Fernandez Vara said the blaze in the Sierra de Gata mountain area had destroyed 12,000 acres since Thursday.

People were evacuated from the towns of Acebo and Perales del Puerto and given lodging in the nearby city of Caceres and the town of Moraleja.

Mr Fernandez Vara said it was the fifth fire in the area in recent months and everything indicates they have been started intentionally.

The Agricultural Ministry said it has sent four water-carrying planes and a helicopter to help extinguish the fire. There were no reports of injuries.

The ministry said forest fires in Spain have destroyed 128,000 acres through July this year, compared with 114,000 acres in all of last year.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph