Belfast Telegraph

Monday 22 September 2014

World leaders arrive for Mandela

Workers install one of the bulletproof glass panels that will surround VIPs at stadium for the Mandela memorial service (AP)

Scores of heads of state and other foreign dignitaries are beginning to converge on South Africa as the final preparations for the national memorial service for Nelson Mandela are put in place.

More than 80,000 are expected to attend the gathering for the anti-apartheid hero at a stadium in the Soweto township where he made his last public appearance at the closing ceremony of the 2010 soccer World Cup.

The government said that 53 heads of state and government had already confirmed t they would be attending the national memorial service and/or the state funeral for the country's first black and democratically-elected president.

-AP

Thousands of South African police will be on duty at the ceremony and will block access to the site if crowds become too large, officials said.

A spokesman for the South African Police Service, said "thousands" of officers will direct traffic, protect mourners and help the bodyguards of visiting dignitaries.

"We will be on hand to make sure people are able to grieve in a safe environment."

A joint taskforce of police, diplomats and intelligence service personnel already have been making plans and talking to the foreign delegations who are to attend the ceremony.

On Monday, gardeners cut the grass in front of FNB Stadium. Workers inside also installed bulletproof glass to protect the stage where foreign leaders, including President Barack Obama, are expected to speak.

Those attending include Mr Obama, David Cameron, Brazilian leader Dilma Rousseff and United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

"Whether we have 10 heads of state coming or 70 or 100, we do have the capacity and plans in place to facilitate their movement," the spokesman said.

Roads for several square miles around the stadium will be closed, and people will have to walk or take public transport to the stadium. Nearby stadiums equipped with viewing screens also will be open to accommodate overflow crowds.

Government Minister Collins Chabane said organisers "can't guess" how many people will attend or will try to enter the stadium.

"Once we see that the numbers are becoming unmanageable, ... access will be denied," he said.

Mandela died last Thursday aged 95. After the stadium memorial on Tuesday, his body will lie in state at the Union Buildings, the seat of government in South Africa's capital, Pretoria, from Wednesday to Friday. He will be buried Sunday in Qunu, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate's rural hometown in Eastern Cape Province.

-AP

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz