£450,000 public realm project will re-energise Banbridge - McCausland
Stormont Executive press release - Department for Social Development
Social Development Minister Nelson McCausland has visited Banbridge to view the completion of the public realm works in Rathfriland Street.
The Rathfriland Street Public Realm scheme in Banbridge aimed to enhance a busy commercial area which links to the refurbished Solitude Park. The scheme includes new granite footpaths, kerbs, lighting and enhanced parking.
During a tour of the public realm works, the Minister said: “Banbridge is an excellent example of the difference public realm projects can make to our local towns. The completion of the Rathfriland Street project has given new life to a very busy commercial area in the town to the benefit of everyone who works or shops here.
“Last month the Northern Ireland Executive through my Department also provided funding of £170,000 for revitalisation initiatives for Banbridge town centre. Together these two valuable investments in Banbridge will hopefully attract new business and investment to the area.”
He concluded: “Such schemes help build up confidence amongst local retailers and re-energise the future prospects of our town centres.”
Banbridge District Council’s Director of Leisure and Development, Catriona Regan said: “The work which has been carried out in Rathfriland Street has made a huge difference to the area and is a benefit to the whole of Banbridge Town Centre. Since its completion, we have received very positive feedback from the businesses that trade in the street and the wider public who visit the town to shop.
“The scheme which was identified within the Banbridge Development Strategy is part of the ongoing plan for town centre improvement and the Council is very pleased that the next phase of works under the Banbridge Revitalisation project have commenced. We are pleased that the Department for Social Development is continuing to work with the Council to bring forward new projects identified within the Development Strategy.”
Notes to editors:
1. The total cost of the Rathfriland Street Public Realm scheme is estimated at approximately £450,000. This includes £400,000 for the Department for Social Development and £50,000 form Banbridge District Council.
2. The public realm improvement works included:
· Narrowing of the footpath to allow for provision of parking/loading bays on both sides of the road;
· New granite footpaths;
· Re-use of exiting granite kerbs;
· New lighting scheme to include extra lighting;
· Re-profiling and resurfacing of the carriageway; and
· Undergrounding of drainage from downpipes.
3. See photos from the Department for Social Development in our collection at http://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections/72157626632064777/