Flooding preparations continue for over the weekend
Stormont Executive press releases - Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
Over the past few days parts of the province have experienced very heavy rainfall, resulting in isolated instances of flooding. This weather pattern is set to continue in the days ahead.
The three drainage agencies, Northern Ireland Water, Rivers Agency and Roads Service have made preparations to limit the impact of any flooding. Measures include:
- Checking grilles and culverts
- Cleaning gullies in areas that are prone to flooding
- Placing staff on stand-by at various locations including pumping stations
- Working with councils to ensure stocks of sandbags are available for distribution
Government agencies will do their utmost to minimise the impact of any flooding that may occur. However, we would appeal to people who feel that their property may be at risk of flooding to think about what they themselves can do to reduce the impact – simple things like, for example:
- Making plans to prevent water entering their property eg have sandbags available
- Moving valuable house contents upstairs if that’s possible
- Know where to turn off electricity or gas
Additional advice on how to prepare for a flood and what to do if a flood happens can be found on http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/flooding
To report a flood, phone the Flooding Incident Line – 0300 2000 100.
Belfast Telegraph Digital