New appointments to be made to the management committee of Armagh Observatory and Planetarium
Stormont Executive press releases - Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure
Minister Carál Ní Chuilín is seeking to appoint new Members to the Management Committee of Armagh Observatory and Planetarium. There are currently up to four positions available.
Launching the competition the Minister said: “A position on the Management Committee of the Armagh Observatory and Planetarium is an interesting and challenging role. The position will include carrying out front line scientific research in astronomy and related sciences in the pursuit of a high profile programme of education and outreach.
“The Observatory and Planetarium is a valued tourist attraction for the north of Ireland and it also provides an educational resource to help tackle disadvantage in our communities by improving the participation of young people in education, employment and training.”
Minister Ní Chuilín is encouraging women, ethnic minorities and people with disabilities to apply. She said: “Females are currently under-represented on the Board and I would therefore particularly welcome applications from women. I would also encourage members of ethnic minority groups and people with a disability to apply for these positions so that we can have a board which is representative of our diverse society."
All applications for appointment are considered strictly on merit. The final decision on appointments will rest with the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 16 August 2013.
Notes to editors:
1. This is a competition to appoint up to four new Members of the Management Committee of Armagh Observatory and Planetarium.
2. The essential criteria for the position of Member of the Management Committee are as follows:
· Experience in governance in the community and voluntary sector, public sector or private sector including overseeing the development and implementation of corporate strategies and annual business plans;
· Previous membership of a board or committee which has responsibility for staff and / or financial resources;
· Experience as a practitioner or advisor in accountancy, business, communications, community development, education, finance, law, marketing or tourism;
· Experience of, and commitment to, the positive promotion of equality and social inclusion, as well as the principles of anti-discrimination, through either professional or voluntary activity;
· An informed interest in astronomy, museums, archives or related sciences and experience in the dissemination of such knowledge across all sectors of society.
3. All appointments will be for a term of up to 4 years which is expected to commence on 1 November 2013.
4. Management Committee Member positions are not remunerated but attract travel and subsistence allowances. The posts will require a commitment of at least four days per year up to a maximum of eight days per year.
5. The appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice for Ministerial Public Appointments in NI in accordance with the requirement of the Commissioner for Public Appointments NI. All appointments are based on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
6. The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure is committed to the principle of public appointments based on merit with independent assessment, openness and transparency of process. The Department is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified people irrespective of religious belief, gender, disability, ethnic origin, political opinion, age, marital status, sexual orientation or whether or not they have dependants. As females, members of ethnic minorities and people with a disability are currently under-represented in this area, we would particularly welcome applications from these groups.
7. Further information can be obtained from Personnel & Facilities Management Branch, Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure, Causeway Exchange, Level 10, 1- 7 Bedford Street, Belfast, BT2 7EG; by telephoning 028 9051 5149; by textphone on 028 9052 7668; or by e-mailing: email@example.com. Details can also be found at: www.dcalni.gov.uk/public_appointments.
Belfast Telegraph Digital