Publication of ‘Children Order Child Protection and Referral Statistics for Northern Ireland (quarter ending 31 March 2014)’
Stormont Executive press release - Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety has today published the ‘Children Order Child Protection and Referral Statistics for Northern Ireland (quarter ending 31 March 2014).’
Key Facts and Figures:
Child Protection Register
1. At 31 March 2014, 1,914 children were listed on the Child Protection Register in Northern Ireland which represented a small decrease on the previous quarter. Since March 2013, the register count has decreased by 2%, from 1,961, with changes by Trust ranging from a decrease of 15% in the Belfast Trust to an increase of 12% in the Western Trust;
2. Taking account of local demographics, Register counts per 10,000 children’s population (under 18), ranged from 36.9 in the Southern Trust to 51.4 in the South Eastern Trust; overall there were 44.3 children per 10,000 on the Register at 31 March 2014;
3. At 31 March 2014 the largest proportion of children were on the Register due to Neglect Only (30%); 74% of children on the Child Protection Register at 31 March 2014 had been on the Register for less than one year with 2% of children on the Register for three years or longer;
Child Protection Referrals
4. Child Protection Referrals for the quarter ending 31 March 2014, were 9% lower than the previous quarter, and 9% below the number of referrals for the same quarter in 2013;
5. Over half of all Referrals, 51%, originated from within Social Services, 15% from the PSNI, 10% from School/Educational Welfare Officers, 4% from Relatives and 11% from ‘Other’ sources.
Notes to editors:
1.This information was collated by Community Information Branch within the DHSSPS.
2.This Bulletin is the seventeenth quarterly reporting of Children Order Child Protection and Referral Statistics.
3.Statistics detailed within the bulletin include numbers of children on the Child Protection Register at 31 March 2014, by Legal Status, Age, Category of Abuse and Duration on the Register, and numbers of Child Protection Referrals by Source of Referral during the first quarter of 2014. Trend analyses are presented regionally and by HSC Trusts.
4.Statistics for the quarter ending 30 June 2014 are due for publication on 21 August 2014.
5.This publication is available online at: http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/index/stats_research/stats-cib-3/statistics_and_research-cib-pub/children_statistics/children_order_quarterly.htm
6.Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Room 11, Annexe 2,
Stormont Belfast BT4 3SP
Tel: (028) 90 528446
Fax: (028) 90 523288
Internet: Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Belfast Telegraph Digital