Northern Ireland companies set for take-off at Singapore Airshow
Stormont Executive press release - Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment
Enterprise, Trade and Investment Minister Arlene Foster, has joined exhibitors, trade visitors and media from all over the world at Asia’s largest aerospace event, the Singapore Air Show.
The air show was the venue for the first UK-Ireland joint trade mission and the Minister was accompanied by UK Transport Minister Stephen Hammond and Republic of Ireland Jobs Minister, Richard Bruton.
Arlene Foster led a delegation of nine Northern Ireland companies taking part in the Singapore Air Show. Globally, it is one of the most important, given that the Asia Pacific region is the world’s biggest air travel market.
The Minister said: “I welcome the opportunity to lead a group of Northern Ireland aerospace companies in this first visit to Singapore Air Show and to promote the world class capabilities of Northern Ireland aerospace, which is one of the premier aerospace regions in Europe.
“In Northern Ireland, aerospace generates revenues in excess of £1billion and employs over 8,000 highly qualified staff.
“There are approximately 50 companies active in the sector with core strengths in precision engineering; supplying critical components and services to all of the major aerospace programmes in the world. This contributes to ensuring the UK remains Europe’s number one aerospace manufacturer and second only to the US globally.”
Arlene Foster added: “The Singapore Air Show will provide opportunities to build new commercial relationships that have the potential to extend the sector’s global reach. It is also an important opportunity to ensure NI Aerospace remains firmly visible in an international setting.”
Notes to editors:
1. The UK and Ireland will undertake their first ever joint trade mission took place at the Singapore Airshow as part of a programme of cooperation to strengthen relations over the next decade led by UK Prime Minister David Cameron and Irish Taoiseach Enda Kenny.
2. 28 companies from the UK and ROI participating in joint mission to the air show. Nine of these are from Northern Ireland. They are:
· Bombardier, Belfast
· Denroy Plastics, Bangor
· Global Financial Organisation, Belfast
· Jet Assist, Fivemiletown
· Jet Spec, Fivemiletown
· Mallaghan, Dungannon
· Marlborough Engineering, Belfast
· Morson Projects Ltd, Belfast
· WIS Aerospace, Newtownabbey