Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 20 April 2014

Homes warned over barbeques

An article published under the sub-heading 'Ways to avoid the winter woes' (News, December 8) stated, as part of the advice given, to "have disposable barbeque trays at home in case the cooker stops working due to a power cut".

Although the article did not specifically advise individuals to use disposable barbeques inside the home, the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) would like to make it clear that charcoal-burning devices should never be used inside the home. These include disposable barbeques and charcoal grills.

Charcoal-burning devices, such as disposable barbecues, can cause carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. They give off fumes for many hours after their use at levels high enough to result in CO poisoning.

To avoid hazardous CO exposure, charcoal-burning equipment should never be used inside the home, in a tent, camper, or other enclosed shelter.

For more information on HSENI's Watch Out: Carbon Monoxide Kills campaign visit www.hseni.gov.uk/watchout, or phone 0800 0320 121.

RICHARD MEREDITH

Principal inspector, HSENI

To email your letter to the Editor click here

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz