Reading the article 'Parties bite back on fluoridation issue' (Belfast Telegraph, September 30), I'm not surprised that there is opposition to adding this chemical.
The fluoride used in tap water is fluorosilicic acid - toxic waste from phosphate fertilizer factor chimney scrubbers, which is not of pharmaceutical grade.
It is also contaminated with mercury and lead.
Science books state that fluoride is more poisonous than lead and only slightly less so than arsenic.
A high percentage of children in fluoridated areas suffer fluorosis - permanent tooth mottling caused by too much fluoride. This can be an outward sign of toxicity.
Children's teeth need adequate calcium, magnesium and vitamin D, which also benefits general health, so is much better than adding the potentially toxic fluoride chemical to water.
Medication should be prescribed individually, according to need, and not given to whole communities with no control over dosage received.
This goes against all medical ethics. Would you take a painkiller because your neighbour has a headache?
A Wills, Ruislip, Middlesex