Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Boxing

Burnett ready to put on a show as he eyes 2017 world title shot

By David Kelly

Published 13/10/2016

On the ropes: Ryan Burnett catches Jason Booth during their British Bantamweight bout in Manchester last year
On the ropes: Ryan Burnett catches Jason Booth during their British Bantamweight bout in Manchester last year
Eddie Hearn

A this time last year Ryan Burnett was preparing to put pen to paper on a deal with top promoter Eddie Hearn. Expectations were high on both sides, but the fanfare has dimmed a little - and that is something the Belfast man is eager to rectify this Saturday night.

Burnett has had three straight victories under Hearn's Matchroom banner including picking up the British bantamweight title but an eye-catching performance has eluded him and he continues to wait for an opportunity to headline in Belfast.

On Saturday night his silky smooth skills will be put to the test against Ryan Farrag, a no-nonsense former European champion whose style should gel well with that of the former Olympic Youth gold medallist, who is managed and coached by Adam Booth in London.

Currently there seems to be a queue of fighters forming behind the Northern Ireland standard bearer Carl Frampton as to who will follow his lead and find themselves topping shows in Belfast and drawing the fans in huge quantities in the years ahead. It is no easy task, but Burnett is determined to find himself at the SSE Arena next year in a world title fight.

There is no doubt that Hearn has the power to deliver major title fights for Burnett, who is currently ranked 18th by the WBC, but before that the 24-year-old wants to prove he can bring the electricity to the ring that every promoter yearns for - starting against Farrag.

"I want to show people what I'm really all about, I want the fans to see that. It has been frustrating that I haven't done that yet but now I have an opponent that will bring out the best in me," said Burnett, who will be fighting in Farrag's backyard in Liverpool's Echo Arena on the supporting bill to WBC World cruiserweight champion Tony Bellew.

"I want to be fighting for a major world title in Belfast, and this is a fight that can show everyone that I deserve that chance. He's going to put me under pressure and come with the hunger and belief that he's there to win. That will give me more opportunities to show my best, to show people what I've got.

"I have been developing a lot in the camps that I've had, learning and understanding how I want to be as a fighter - learning from Adam about what boxing is all about, and I have a lot more to learn from Adam."

Farrag is equally confident that he can triumph this weekend and propel himself back into the European title mix with the Lonsdale belt around his waist.

"It's a good fight for me, this is the level I wanted to go straight back into anyway," says Farrag, who lost his European title to Frenchman Karim Guerfi in June before enjoying a routine victory over Elvis Guillen last month.

"Ryan hasn't really been tested in my eyes so we'll find out what he's about on October 15th. He's a big Matchroom fighter but he's coming here to Liverpool to defend that belt and I'm just going to take it off him."

Burnett is adamant that he will not allow Farrag to dent his world title aspirations and hopes of returning to Belfast for a major fight.

"I can't afford to lose... in my mind to lose would finish me, it would put me right down the ladder and I have done everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen. I want that world title fight in 2017 so I can't afford any slip-ups.

"The previous guys I fought realised they couldn't beat me after a few rounds and then they were just happy to survive, this guy will be different and I can't wait for the fight."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph