Carl Frampton says life goes on after WBA stripped him of title
Belfast boxing champion Carl Frampton has spoken for the first time since he was stripped of his WBA super-bantamweight title.
The Jackal was stripped of the belt last week after the association said he had failed to indicate if he would defend his title against the mandatory challenger.
The 29-year-old from Tigers Bay has also been ordered to fulfil a mandatory defence of his IBF belt against Japan's Shingo Wake, but is likely to bin that title too if he moves up in weight for a speculated bout against Leo Santa Cruz.
Writing in the Sunday Life, Frampton said his career continues to move in the right direction.
He said: "There’S been a lot of reaction on social media to me being stripped of the WBA super-bantamweight title but if you look out the window, the world hasn’t come to an end and my career continues to move in the right direction.
"In boxing you can’t get away from the politics of the sport. Tyson Fury was stripped of his IBF World title very shortly after winning it from Wladimir Klitschko — yet for some time the Ukrainian was able to hold three belts.
"Of course, it’s disappointing to have the title taken away but that’s boxing and I move on. It will be interesting to see who Guillermo Rigondeaux will fight for the Super title — the one I had.
"Talks are ongoing for a fight between me and WBA featherweight champion Leo Santa Cruz, and that would be massive."
The proposed clash with Santa Cruz is likely to take place in the States this summer, with the demands of American television ruling out Frampton's dream of a major bout at Windsor Park.
Belfast Telegraph Digital