Chris Eubank Jnr welcomes news that Nick Blackwell wakes from coma
Chris Eubank Jnr has spoken of his pleasure at hearing the news that Nick Blackwell has woken from his coma.
Eubank Jnr stopped Blackwell in the 10th round of last Saturday's fight to win the British middleweight title, but since then has been concerned for his opponent's health as Blackwell collapsed shortly afterwards and spent the following week in an induced coma.
The 25-year-old was found to have suffered a bleed on the skull, but did not require surgery, woke on Saturday and was speaking to friends and family on Sunday.
His promoter Hennessy Sports revealed the latest developments earlier yesterday, and Eubank Jnr, 26, has since led those welcoming the positive news.
"Very happy to hear Nick Blackwell has awoken from his coma," he said on Twitter. "Nick I'd like to come see you if possible, I've got something for you bro." In the same way the British boxing community demonstrated its support for Blackwell in the hours after he collapsed - fellow middleweight Adam Etches started a crowdfunding campaign for him and David Haye has pledged to donate 10 per cent of ticket sales from his next fight - other fighters have spoken of their relief.
"So delighted that Nick Blackwell has come out of his induced coma and is speaking to his family'" wrote Barry McGuigan, whose son Shane added: "Delighted to hear the news Nick Blackwell has woken and is already talking to his family and friends. Get well soon mate."
Gennady Golovkin, the feared WBA and IBF middleweight champion from Kazakhstan wrote: "Great to hear Nick Blackwell is awake and with family and friends."
There were further messages from 2012 Olympic gold medalist Luke Campbell and promoter Frank Warren, while Peter Fury - the uncle and trainer of Tyson - who is close to Blackwell's promoter Mick Hennessy, wrote: "Great news Nick Blackwell has made a full recovery. Mick said he's smiling and talking, even telling jokes. In God we trust."