Conrad Cummings and Fredo Meli to go again after draw at the Waterfront
Promoter Blain McGuigan says he is convinced that Conrad Cummings and Fredo Meli will have a mouthwatering rematch in 2016 on the back of their rip-roaring draw at the Waterfront Hall.
Cummings and Meli both agreed they should do it all over again after a pulsating encounter which had the fans on their feet and opinion divided at the final bell.
Full-time mechanic Meli seemed the happier of the two men post-fight and as he returned to work today sporting the scars of battle, the Belfast man was adamant that he had done enough to have his arm raised in triumph.
"I really thought that I did enough to win the fight. There has to be a rematch and the numbers have to add up. It was a cracking fight from the start to the finish and the real winners were the fans - they certainly got their money's worth and we both got a hiding," said Meli, who dismissed any suggestion that he would give up working to concentrate solely on his training.
"The reality is that my work pays the bills - I've a family to look after that comes first. Boxing is a hobby to me."
Promoter McGuigan and his dad Barry, who manages Cummings, must now work out the next move for the Coalisland man who had been mooted for a slot on the supporting bill to Carl Frampton's clash with Scott Quigg on February 27 at the Manchester Arena.
"Obviously we'd like a re-match and we'll work it out for sometime in the New Year," said Blain.
"Conrad has a potential slot on the Carl Frampton versus Scott Quigg card so we'll have to see when we can make the fight but it has to happen."
Meanwhile, at the Irish seniors in Dublin, Belfast man Sean McComb began the defence of his lightweight title with a unanimous victory over Tiernan Bradley.
There was disappointment, however, for Ulster champion Bernaldo Marime, who exited the competition at the hands of light-welter champion Dean Walsh.