Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Boxing

Favourite Manny Pacquiao plans to go out with a bang

By Declan Warrington

Published 09/04/2016

Manny Pacquiao
Manny Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao will reportedly bring down the curtain on his illustrious career in the early hours of tomorrow morning against Timothy Bradley in a bout predictably labelled "Legacy".

The fight, taking place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, is the third meeting between the Filipino and the American, with each claiming one victory.

Having recorded 57 wins from 65 fights but coming into the match-up on the back of last year's defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr, the eight-division World champion is understandably eager to go out on a high.

Pacquiao has fought twice since the Bradley win, overcoming Chris Algieri and then losing the superfight to Mayweather.

And the oddsmakers favour Pacquiao, making him about a 2-1 favourite.

"Bradley is a much improved fighter," said Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter.

"Teddy Atlas has done a great job with him.

"Manny has his hands full and has to be in top form.

"It's going to be much tougher, this third fight.

"Boxing is so much about the mental side and when you talk to Bradley now, it's like he has found the Holy Grail.

"Atlas, the trainer, strategist and more importantly the psychiatrist, has made Bradley a much more complete fighter.

"Atlas has certainly had a huge impact."

Pacquiao, returning after being out for eight months following surgery to a torn rotator cuff sustained against Mayweather, is said to be "absolutely pumped", by team sources.

Trainer Freddie Roach said: "He wants to show everybody the real Manny Pacquiao."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph