Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Boxing

Frampton announces plan for a huge homecoming fight

 

By David Kelly

Carl Frampton is going to give his fans what they have craved for over two years - a huge fight at home. The Jackal has long said that he wanted to return to Belfast for his next bout and has confirmed that he will be back on July 29, with a venue and opponent to be confirmed shortly.

Frampton, who last boxed in Belfast in February 2015, tweeted: "July 29th - keep it free. I can't wait to box @ home! Presser will be in the next week & tix will go on sale straight after."

Frampton has ruled out a fight with IBF World champion Lee Selby, with whom Cyclone Promotions had been in negotiations.

The Northern Ireland hero described how Selby, who must face his mandatory challenger Jonathan Barros, had "wasted our time".

"We had been talking to TV networks about the fight with Selby, who told us that it could happen despite him having a mandatory fight with Jonathan Barros. Then myself and Jake McGuigan spoke to the IBF official who made it clear that Selby must face Barros next," said Frampton.

The former WBA World featherweight champion had initially expected Leo Santa Cruz to travel to Belfast to complete their trilogy of battles, but the Mexican failed to deliver on his promise that he would come to the Jackal's hometown on the back of his victory in Las Vegas at the start of the year.

Meanwhile, Belfast man Anthony Cacace has been handed the opportunity he desired as he will take on Martin Ward for the British and Commonwealth super-featherweight titles at Wembley Arena on July 15.

"This is the fight that will open all the doors for me. It's been a long time coming and I have to thank my manager Pat Magee. Beat Ward and then I'm on the way to European and World title fights," said Cacace.

The Celtic super-featherweight champion will be the chief support to Chris Eubank Jnr's super-middleweight clash with two-weight World champion Arthur Abraham, with both fights being shown on ITV.

Eubank Jnr hopes that victory over Abraham can lead to a showdown with newly crowned WBA World champion George Groves.

Eubank Jnr is adamant he will overcome Abraham on July 15 despite insisting he is a natural middleweight fighting beyond his weight division.

"Arthur Abraham is highly regarded as a super-middleweight; I'm a natural middleweight," said the 27-year-old. "I walk at 12 stone, but my speed, determination and skill surpasses what Abraham has.

"I want fights that will build my legacy. What people say about me motivates me; they say I'm trading on my father's name. It doesn't matter what your name is: if you can't fight, you can't fight."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph