Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Boxing

Frampton dismisses Hearn offer

Published 07/04/2015

Carl Frampton has demanded more talks over a prospective summer unification fight against Scott Quigg
Carl Frampton has demanded more talks over a prospective summer unification fight against Scott Quigg

Carl Frampton has dismissed an alleged £1.5million offer made by Scott Quigg's promoter Eddie Hearn and demanded more talks with a view to sealing a world title unification bout this summer.

Belfast star Frampton insists the all-British bout can only take place as a co-promotion with his own Cyclone Promotions, and if an agreement cannot be reached he will instead pursue a voluntary defence of his IBF super-bantamweight crown.

Frampton said in a statement: "My team and I have been in negotiations with Matchroom Sport to co-promote this fight.

" It has been made very clear to Matchroom Sport throughout the entire negotiation period that this huge domestic fight can only take place as a co-promotion.

"It is therefore frustrating that Matchroom have deviated from negotiations with this offer."

Hearn scribbled the sum on a cheque in front of cameras on Tuesday in a clear attempt to speed up negotiations for the bout.

But television remains one of a number of potential sticking points with WBA champion Quigg under contract with Matchroom who work exclusively with Sky.

Frampton meanwhile has been working with ITV and his last title defence in January was the first world title fight to be broadcast live on terrestrial TV in the UK for seven years.

Hearn confirmed the £1.5million offer and said it was made after previous negotiations for the fight had reached a stalemate.

He said in a statement: " They (Cyclone Promotions) are right that negotiations have been ongoing but they ended last week when we hit a brick wall.

"We're frustrated. (Kell) Brook versus (Amir) Khan has fallen by the wayside and we want to make sure that this fight happens.

"We've made Carl an offer of £1.5million to fight in Manchester on July 18. There's no reason why this fight can't happen and we are willing to put the money up.

"There's no offer from them and all the revenue is being delivered by us. We have massive respect for Carl, he's a brilliant fighter that I have worked with in the past. These are two great champions and we just want to see the fight; let's get it made."

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph