Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Boxing

Frampton must be patient as Selby camp want big bout

 

By David Kelly

Carl Frampton is now likely to have to wait until 2018 before he can have a showdown with IBF World featherweight champion Lee Selby.

Following the announcement that he has split from manager Barry McGuigan and Cyclone Promotions, Frampton will now be looking to set up a new team as quickly as possible but Selby's manager Jamie Sanigar insists the Jackal is only one option on their hitlist - even if he is the most lucrative.

The Belfast man is eager to box before Christmas but, crucially, Sanigar says that World champion Selby expects to be out again in October or, at the latest, November and talks about his next defence with American advisor Al Haymon are about to be cranked up this week.

"Everything is very settled with Lee but we now have to wait until the dust settles to see what is going to happen with Carl Frampton - who's going to be promoting him and presumably who will now train him. That obviously takes time," said Sanigar.

"A fight with Carl Frampton is high on the list of big fights that Lee Selby wants to have but with all due respect we're not in the business of chasing Carl Frampton.

"Lee is the champion and he has to stay active and we would like him out again in October.

"It would be a tragedy if the fight didn't happen within the next eight to 12 months because they are two fighters who at 30 years of age are in their prime and there have been too many big all-British fights that have not happened - such as Amir Khan and Kell Brook."

Having just been through a three-month camp before his fight with Andres Gutierrez fell through at 24 hours notice last month, the Jackal has been enjoying some quality time with his family and will this week head to Las Vegas to take in the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor event.

An expected return to the ring would more likely take place towards the end of November or early December due to the time required for the former two-weight World champion to whip himself back into top condition.

Sanigar added: "The ifs and maybes are on Carl's side. Carl will have to decide whether or not he wants to dive straight into a World title fight with Lee or if he has to fight someone else and then meet Lee.

"Selby is already back in training, he's a bit of a gym rat and he's just waiting to hear who he will fight next."

Leo Santa Cruz, who won back the WBA featherweight title from Frampton in January, has also suffered a blow after his exciting clash with fellow Mexican Abner Mares, set for October 7, hit the buffers due to a disagreement over purse money.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph