Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Boxing

Frampton wants Quigg showdown

Carl Frampton is craving a domestic showdown with Scott Quigg after relieving Spaniard Kiko Martinez of his IBF super-bantamweight title.

Frampton defeated Martinez for a second time with a unanimous points victory in his native Belfast that produced two scorecards of 119-108 and one of 118-111.

Now the 27-year-old is seeking a unification clash with Quigg, who holds the lesser WBA title, despite the political landscape of having left the Mancunian's promotional team Matchroom last year.

"The only man I want to fight is Scott Quigg," Frampton said.

"I'll fight him in Manchester. I'll fight him anywhere, but we've got options."

WBC champion Leo Santa Cruz is also a potential next opponent, although Chris Avalos is the IBF's mandatory challenger so Frampton's hand may be forced if he wants to keep hold of his belt.

Guillermo Rigondeaux, who holds the more valued version of the WBA's two world titles, is a possibility, although the brilliantly awkward Cuban is a fighter many believe is best avoided.

Martinez displayed bravery beyond the call of duty in defence of his title and Frampton may now face a extended spell out of the ring after suffering damage to his left hand.

"Martinez was so dangerous. He's a hard puncher. I've never respected a fighter as much in my life. What a fighter and what a worthy world champion," Frampton said.

"This has been a long time coming. It's been a hard road and there's been ups and downs.

"I'm glad for everyone who has ever supported me and I intend to hold onto the belt for a very long time."

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph