Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Boxing

Klitschko is not injured, claims Fury after fight KO

By Staff Reporter

Published 26/09/2015

Tyson Fury during a press conference at the Hilton Syon Park, London. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday September 23, 2015. See PA story BOXING Fury. Photo credit should read: Simon Cooper/PA Wire.
Tyson Fury during a press conference at the Hilton Syon Park, London. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday September 23, 2015. See PA story BOXING Fury. Photo credit should read: Simon Cooper/PA Wire.

Tyson Fury has accused Vladimir Klitschko of faking injury after the Ukrainian postponed their world heavyweight title bout claiming a calf problem.

Fury had been due to face Klitschko in Dusseldorf on October 24 but the bout will now have to be re-scheduled.

But Fury claimed he knew the 39-year-old was going to pull out, and questioned the legitimacy of the reason.

"Whatever Klitschko's reasons are, I can tell you all now there's no injury," Fury said.

"He either needs more time to prepare, more time to get his mind set straight, or more time to talk over what he's going to do. There's definitely no injury. Definitely, definitely not."

Klitschko's announcement comes just two days after Fury dressed as Batman and wrestled a man dressed as The Joker during a press conference to promote the fight.

"Am I that intimidating? Am I that scary?" Fury added.

"Let's hope he wants to do the fight again. He can't go anywhere else. The only option is to retire."

Fury said he feels for his supporters as they have to unpick their travel plans.

"All my supporters and fans - they always lose out," he said.

Klitschko said he would aim to recover "as fast as possible" so the fight can be re-arranged.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph