Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Boxing

Marc McCullough must learn from shock loss, says John Breen

By David Kelly

Published 31/07/2015

Marc McCullough's fight against Zoltan Kovacs was stopped in the first round
Marc McCullough's fight against Zoltan Kovacs was stopped in the first round

Coach John Breen has insisted that Marc McCullough will bounce back from a shocking first round stoppage at the hands of Hungarian Zoltan Kovacs in the Sportpalast, Bielefeld, Germany last night.

Featherweight McCullough, ranked four by the World Boxing Organisation going into the fight, had been lined up for a European title fight before Christmas but a left hook in the opening 30 seconds had those plans crumbling.

The Shankill Road man, who had been on a fine roll of impressive wins, wobbled from the heavy blow and then a barrage of punches sent him to the canvas.

Urged by Breen to utilise his boxing, McCullough walked into another hail of blows which led to the coach wisely throwing in the towel.

Robbed in his second fight as a professional on points, this was a much more devastating defeat for McCullough for whom Barry McGuigan's Cyclone Promotions outfit had top-level aspirations.

Coach Breen said: "It's really gut-wrenching, everyone is shocked and none more so than Marc. He got caught cold and was then probably a bit too reckless and got caught again.

"His fight against Martin Parlagi started a bit like that but he got through it - this time he didn't against an opponent not as good as Parlagi.

"That's boxing, you just cannot take anyone or anything for granted, but I'm sure that he will come back from this.

"He's only 25 years old, he has shown in the past he has real potential at the top level and he just has to learn from this.

"Many fighters have come back from shock defeats and Marc will do the same."

On the same bill, Cyclone boxer Josh Pritchard chalked up a third successive win, the featherweight stopping Hungarian Ignac Kassai in the first round.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph