Scott Quigg takes to Twitter to challenge Carl Frampton
Scott Quigg has publicly asked Belfast boxer Carl Frampton if £1.5 million is not enough for him.
The English boxer, who currently holds the WBA Regular Super Bantamweight title, and his management team, Matchroom, surprised Team Frampton earlier this week with a £1.5 million public offer to fight at the Manchester Arena on July 18.
But Frampton explained his desires for the hugely anticipated clash.
"My team and I have been in negotiations with Matchroom Sport to co-promote this fight," Frampton explained.
"It has been made very clear to Matchroom Sport throughout the entire negotiation period that this huge domestic fight can only take place as a co-promotion. It is therefore frustrating that Matchroom have deviated from negotiations with this offer."
McGuigan's Cyclone Promotions also issued a statement on Tuesday night, highlighting their surprise at the big-money offer.
"Cyclone Promotions are in negotiations with Matchroom Sport to deliver a co-promotion of this eagerly awaited contest," said the statement.
"Cyclone Promotions have made several attempts to organise a follow-up meeting with Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport to progress these negotiations.
"Cyclone Promotions and Carl Frampton are therefore surprised by this public offer to fight in Manchester.
"We recommend Matchroom accept the invitation for a follow-up meeting.
@RealCFrampton so £1.5m is not enough nor is 60-40 to the winner of the 'millions' you say from OUR broadcaster?Do you even want this fight?— Scott Quigg (@scottquigg) April 9, 2015
"If Matchroom Sport does not want to meet, Carl Frampton will make an optional defence of his IBF World title this summer."
But Quigg, who earlier in the week stressed his desperation to fight world champion Frampton, challenged the boxer from Tigers Bay by asking on Twitter: "so £1.5m is not enough nor is 60-40 to the winner of the 'millions' you say from OUR broadcaster?Do you even want this fight?"
Quigg's tweet came just a day after his manager, Eddie Hearn, wrote a strongly-worded message to Frampton's team on his Daily Mail column.
"You'll have seen by now that we have offered Frampton £1.5million for the fight – all he has to do is turn up, we will take all the risks," wrote Hearn.
"If there's more we can do to make this fight happen then I don't know what it is. Now it is up to Frampton and his people to decide if they really want it. If they do, cash the cheque and come to the Manchester Arena on July 18.
"I hope they do because I really can't understand what is stopping them. All the risk is on our side. I have fronted up this money and Scott is the one who might earn less. If this only generates average pay-per-view numbers then he might only make a third of what Frampton is getting.
"Personally, I think it will do big numbers and then Scott will probably get about the same as Frampton.
"It was interesting to see the Cyclone (Frampton's promoters) statement shortly after. They said this fight can only happen if they are co-promoters. Why, if we are the ones putting the money up? If it matters that much to them to have their name on the poster or Michael Buffer read their name out before the fight then I don't have a problem with that either. The fact is it's not about Cyclone or Matchroom, it's about Scott Quigg and Carl Frampton."