Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Cricket

Kevin Pietersen goes on attack after his England rebuff

By David Clough

Published 13/05/2015

In the shade: Andrew Strauss (left) has told Kevin Pietersen
(right) that issues of trust are blocking an England return
In the shade: Andrew Strauss (left) has told Kevin Pietersen (right) that issues of trust are blocking an England return

Kevin Pietersen has launched a furious attack on the England and Wales Cricket Board following the decision to close the door on his international return.

The batsman said he was "absolutely devastated" to see his hopes of an England recall dashed.

New ECB director Andrew Strauss said yesterday there was no way back for the 34-year-old because of a "massive trust issue".

Pietersen said: "I just find it incredibly deceitful what has happened to me and am frankly finding it difficult to understand right now.

"I have done everything I have been asked. I keep asking myself, what more could I do?"

Pietersen said he felt he had been lured to a meeting with Strauss and ECB chief executive Tom Harrison under false pretences, having been given the impression he would be told he could still force his way back into England's plans after hitting a triple ton

Pietersen added: "I have never hidden my determination to once again represent England and having played one of the best innings of my career earlier in the day, I must admit I was riding the crest of a wave.

"Yet it now looks clear Tom knew exactly what Strauss was going to tell me. I messaged Tom after the meeting and asked him why he got me into a hotel knowing precisely what I was going to be told and having already explicitly asked him if that was going to be the case.

"'You talk about trust,' I said. He simply replied: 'I am sorry you feel that way, Kevin'.

"They have used the word trust to justify not selecting me, well, trust is a two-way thing. I couldn't believe just half an hour after I had my meeting, the result of it was on the internet.

"Now I certainly didn't tell anybody, so who did? They say they don't trust me but how can anybody trust them?"

"I have given up my IPL contract, at great expense, to play in county cricket. Surrey did not have any funds so I said I would play for nothing, just a donation to charity, and it is horrendous to feel I have been led down the garden path."

And the issue of trust was at the heart of the message from Strauss in spite of an offer to Pietersen to work as a strategist.

That offer was rejected by Pietersen, suggesting a permanent schism in the pair's working relationship which was soured in 2012 when Pietersen admitted sending "provocative" texts about his then captain to opposition players from their native South Africa.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph