Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport

Football: Eight goal thriller sees Rovers return for next round of Shield

By Martin Harris

Published 03/10/2007

The main focus of attention this week centred on the first round of the Co. Antrim Junior Shield, with Ahoghill Rovers leading the local charge with a 6-2 thumping of Carnlough United.

Mark McClintock got the ball rolling on 10 minutes, with a volley from an inch-perfect Jason Logan right-wing cross.

But they had to wait until midway through the half to double their tally, when Lee Garrett beat the offside trap to confidently take the ball past the visiting keeper.

Peter Kennoway headed a third from a McClintock corner on 35 minutes, while Logan won and converted a penalty five minutes into the second half, to restore their three-goal advantage after Carnlough had pulled one back moments from the interval.

The goal of the game was Ryan McIntyre's, when he unleashed an unstoppable 30-yard screamer into the top corner, before McClintock knocked home a sixth late on.

FC Moylena got amongst the goals, too, with a 4-2 defeat on the road over Newtownabbey Sevens.

Despite going behind early on, they recovered through a Stuart Burrows strike to go in level at the break.

Peter Wachowski edged them into the lead before Newtownabbey levelled on 55 minutes.

However Wilson reacted quickest to a loose ball on the hour, to restore Moylena's advantage, with Ian Thompson adding a fourth soon after from a Burrows corner.

Randalstown Athletic also bagged four goals on their way to victory over Newtownabbey FC, while Steadfast and FC Antrim both needed three to defeat Dundonald II and Tollymore United respectively.

In Division One, Carniny Rangers were held to a 2-2 draw at FC Penarol, despite racing into a two-goal lead after barely 12 minutes.

Jason Robinson opened the scoring from the spot on six minutes, after Maurice McDowell had been upended as he progressed from the right.

There was a touch of fortune to their second, though, when home 'keeper Ryan Martin somehow let a Marcus Spratt left-wing cross slip from his grasp and fall into the net.

Penarol pulled one back through Jason McKay, after Michael Maybin had played the ball forward for his brother, Brian, to knock on.

The equaliser came ten minutes after the break, when a Nicky McCartney corner was headed onto the underside of the bar by Alan Gaston, before McKay pounced to stab home the rebound.

Indeed, Penarol might have gone on to steal the points right at the end when David Cameron hit the bar from a free-kick, but in the end both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More


From Belfast Telegraph