Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 4 August 2015

Football: Lisburn Youth stay in top spot

Published 13/12/2006 | 00:00

Despite another wet week, five games took place on Saturday. One of the day's big games, Lower Maze versus Ards Youth unfortunately fell foul of the weather and will have to beplayed at a later date.

Top of the table Lisburn Youth played against a young Shorts side and ran out 4-0 winners to maintain their charge towards a first George Best Youth League title.

Larne Youth, though, kept up the chase to catch Lisburn with an emphatic 4-0 win against Dungoyne at the Billy Neill Centre.

Ridgeway in third spot kept up their push for honours with a 6-2 win over Hillsborough Boys. The Dundonald side have been impressive this season and should be commended for their efforts. Larne Academy beat a young Loughside 2-0 in a middle of the table game at a wet and windy Larne.

In the league's other remaining fixture, Bloomfield and Knockbreda fought out a great battle at Orangefield Park. The game had started evenly with both teams creating chances before Knockbreda took the lead after 10 minutes with a shot from the edge of the box by Kyle Moore.

The game ebbed and flowed before Bloomfield equalised with a shot by Kyle Hurst to ensure that both teams went in at the interval all square. The second half began with Knockbreda taking the game to Bloomfield and obviously they fancied their chances of getting a result. After 35 minutes Niall Neeson broke through and hit a shot which hit the keeper before taking an unkind bobble and finding its way into the net to make it 2-1 to Knockbreda. After 40 minutes of the game, the same player got a third for Knockbreda when he was left a simple tap in after a cross from the winger evaded the home defence and found its way to Neeson who took his chance well.

On 50 minutes, the game seemed over for Bloomfield when, after clearing a cross out of the box, the ball dropped for Jonathan McCabe, who struck the ball back from 20 yards, over the keeper and into the net for the goal of the game.

Despite going 4-1 down, Bloomfield fought on and they pulled a goal back after 52 minutes when after some neat football the ball fell to Aaron Cochrane and he duly despatched the ball into the net to set up a tense finish.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph