Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Dyche is unfazed by potential Barton ban over gambling

By Staff Reporter

Burnley boss Sean Dyche is relaxed about the Football Association charge hanging over Joey Barton after the possibility of a ban was worked into contract negotiations.

Barton earlier this week rejoined the Clarets on a deal until the end of the season following a brief and ill-fated stint at Rangers, but he has also been charged by the FA with allegedly placing 1,260 bets over a 10-year period.

The midfielder's hopes of making an impact received a boost yesterday when the FA granted him more time to prepare his defence against the charge, which could carry a fine and/or suspension. He now has until January 31.

Referring to the FA charge, Dyche said: "We're well aware of it, but that's personal to him. It's not about us.

"We've come to a mutual agreement with him and his advisors how that would work."

Barton is likely to feature in tomorrow's FA Cup third-round clash at Sunderland.

"There's no guarantee on how much of a part he plays but he's in the pack," said Dyche.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph