Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 16 April 2014

I’m not a bad person, says Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo insists he did not mean to hurt Patrick Mtiliga after leaving the Malaga defender with a broken nose in an incident that saw the Portugal international sent off for the second time in less than two months for Real Madrid.

The world's most expensive player, who earlier in the match had scored both of Madrid's goals in their 2-0 win, was shown a straight red card in the 70th minute of the La Liga encounter at the Bernabeu after his swinging elbow caught Mtiliga in the face as he tried to escape the attentions of the Denmark international.

“I didn't mean to injure the lad. It was bad luck to hit him on the nose because he's only 1.70m and if he had been taller I would have struck his chest,” he said.

“I wouldn't want to injure anybody. I'm not that type of person. I'm not a bad person. I only want to shine by playing football.”

Ronaldo apologised to Mtiliga after the incident but could be banned for up to three games, starting with an away trip to Deportivo on Saturday.