Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Football European

I'm staying at Bayern Munich, insists manager Pep Guardiola

Published 12/05/2015

Job to do: Pep Guardiola says he’s going nowhere
Job to do: Pep Guardiola says he’s going nowhere

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola is determined to honour his contract with the Bundesliga champions.

Reports over the weekend claimed the former Barcelona tactician had already agreed terms to replace Manuel Pellegrini as coach of Manchester City at the end of the season.

But Guardiola, whose current deal expires in the summer of 2016, has brushed aside such speculation and claims he has no plans to leave the Allianz Arena any time soon.

He said: "I have a contract and I will stay here at Bayern. That's all."

Guardiola joined Bayern in the summer of 2013 after enjoying incredible success with Barcelona, first as a player and then as a coach.

The 44-year-old won 14 titles - including two Champions League crowns - in a trophy-laden four-year stint at the helm of the Catalan giants. And Guardiola, who is considered by many of his peers as the world's best coach, has followed his success at Barca by winning back-to-back Bundesliga titles.

But despite that, and the speculation that City want him, Guardiola is unwilling to talk himself up.

"To be the best coach in the world means nothing," the former Spain international said. "I've said it a million times. I win because I have great players."

Bayern won their third straight Bundesliga title last month but have suffered a drop in form since and Saturday's 1-0 home defeat to Augsburg was their fourth straight loss in all competitions.

The German champions next take on Guardiola's former club Barcelona at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday needing to overturn a 3-0 first-leg deficit to reach the Champions League final.

"I have won everything as a coach and as a player," Guardiola said. "I always give the best of me. I'm happy. If I lose, it's not the end of my career."

The Spanish Football League is facing a race against time to stop a strike called by the national football federation to suspend all domestic competitions starting on Saturday.

The RFEF announced last week a strike to halt football over a dispute regarding government interference in the league's television rights.

At the heart of the dispute is a proposed law which would force the RFEF to sell television rights for the Primera Division collectively. Rights are currently sold on a club-by-club basis.

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph