Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Football European

PSG vent anger after Aurier is refused entry to Britain

By Robert Jones

Published 23/11/2016

No go: Serge Aurier will miss out on PSG’s clash with Arsenal in London
No go: Serge Aurier will miss out on PSG’s clash with Arsenal in London

Paris St Germain are furious that defender Serge Aurier has been refused permission by British authorities to travel to England for tonight's Champions League match against Arsenal.

The French club announced that Aurier, a 23-year-old Ivory Coast international, had been denied an entry visa because of a recent assault conviction.

In a statement, Paris St Germain said: "Due to a sudden about-face by the British authorities, Serge Aurier has not been allowed to travel with Unai Emery's squad for the clash away to Arsenal. Paris Saint-Germain is stunned by this incomprehensible situation that attacks the very integrity of the UEFA Champions League."

Aurier was given a two-month prison sentence on September 26 for assaulting a police officer. The incident occurred on May 30 outside a Paris nightclub when the 23-year-old was originally arrested and placed in police custody.

He has appealed against the judgment, his French club said, declaring that on such a basis he should be presumed innocent.

PSG also say they have the support of UEFA, European football's governing body and the organiser of the Champions League.

The statement added: "After an initial application on 18 October, complete with all the necessary documents, the British authorities had originally granted Paris Saint-Germain's Cote d'Ivoire international an entry visa to the UK on 21 October.

"However, on 16 November, his visa was finally revoked by the British Ministry of the Interior (Home Office), who justified their about-face by citing Aurier's conviction on 30 September, 2016.

"Paris Saint-Germain had, in all transparency, informed the British authorities of this conviction, as well as Aurier's appeal against this decision (and the legal suspension of the ruling) from the outset.

"The club has argued several times that since the player has launched a legal appeal against the criminal ruling, he is therefore entitled to the presumption of innocence.

"The club also deplores that the final decision of the British authorities was only communicated at 14:00 CET on Tuesday, despite the club working for the last six days to find a solution."

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph