Goal technology back on line with Fifa
Goal-line technology could be approved in 2012 if it can be shown to work, according to Football Association general secretary Alex Horne.
On Saturday, the International FA Board, the game's law-making body, approved experiments on goal-line systems for an extra year with the aim of a chosen system being in place for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Horne, who was at the Ifab meeting in south Wales, believes a system could be put in place if the new set of tests are passed.
Horne said: “Twelve months ago it effectively got put on ice indefinitely. The tests that took place were not conclusive enough. Our next best position was to get continued testing.
“If we can get comfortable that technology can deliver an accurate solution then they will apply it. If technology proves itself we will get it through next year,” Horne said.
One thing that has already been decided won’t be given a universal warm welcome is the banning of the snood.
Manchester City players Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Mario Balotelli plus Arsenal stars Samir Nasri and Marouane Chamakh have all favoured the neck-warmers this season, but they had already been outlawed by Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
Fifa believe snoods posed a safety risk if opponents grab them when players are running at speed.
Fifa president Sepp Blatter explained: “It can also be dangerous, it can be like to hang somebody.”
The Ifab also agreed to allow Uefa to use their system of five officials at the Euro 2012 finals in Poland and Ukraine next year. The extra officials will be behind the goal-line on the side of the goal next to the assistant referee.