Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Video: Italy v Serbia Euro 2012 qualifying match abandoned after violence

Serbia supporters riot during the UEFA EURO 2012 Group C qualifier between Italy and Serbia at Luigi Ferraris Stadium on October 12, 2010 in Genoa, Italy
A fireman removes a flare from the pitch thrown by Serbian fans during the UEFA EURO 2012 Group C qualifier between Italy and Serbia at Luigi Ferraris Stadium on October 12, 2010 in Genoa, Italy
Serbia players gesture to fans prior to the start of a Group C, Euro 2012 qualifying soccer match between Italy and Serbia, at the Luigi Ferraris stadium in Genoa, Italy, Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2010. The Italy-Serbia European Championship qualifier has been stopped after seven minutes of play due to Serbia fans throwing flares onto the pitch and lighting fireworks

Italy's Euro 2012 Group C qualifier against Serbia was abondoned last night after just six minutes had been played due to crowd disturbances.

The game at Genoa's Luigi Ferraris stadium was delayed for 35 minutes after a section of Serbian fans threw fire crackers and flares in the direction of the north stand where Italian supporters were seated, and onto the pitch.

Serbian players, led by Inter Milan midfielder Dejan Stankovic, urged their fans to calm down as families began to make their way towards the exit.

Once order was restored, a minute's silence was observed in memory of four Italian soldier killed in Afghanistan on Saturday.

The game started but it was not long before Scottish referee Craig Thomson stopped play after a Serbian fan threw a flare onto the pitch, which narrowly missed Italy goalkeeper Emiliano Viviano.

After a delay, Italy coach Cesare Prandelli said: "The game will not be played. I've never seen anything like it."

Serbia went into the game on the back of a 3-1 home defeat to Estonia on Friday. Coach Vladimir Petrovic was taking charge of his first game ahving replaced Radomir Antic since that loss.

To some it was unclear if Stankovic and his teammates had done their best to calm down those that were causing trouble.

"We tried to calm our fans, we didn't applaud them," said captain Stankovic.

Viviano said it was not possible to resume playing.

"It was impossible to have played in that goal," he said. "I would have had to constantly turn around to make sure that no flare hit me."

The 1600 Serbian fans were kept in the stadium under police surveillance as the Italian supporters left the stands.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Nightlife galleries


Latest Sport News

Stats Centre