Belfast Telegraph

Glackin gets his teenage kicks as Dungannon Swifts grab a share of spoils at Ballinamallard

TEENAGE substitute Jamie Glackin struck eight minutes from time to secure a deserved point for Dungannon Swifts against Ballinamallard United at Ferney Park.

Ballinamallard had taken the lead through midfielder Stuart Hutchinson in the 32nd minute but Dungannon kept plugging away in the second half and Glackin's goal ensured they left with a point.

Dungannon boss Darren Murphy felt his side produced some fine periods of football in the game and states he would have been disappointed to have got nothing out of the contest.

"I think over the course of the 90 minutes it is probably as well as we've played in a long time. Sometimes we don't get the credit for how we play, we're a young group but we've talented footballers in our team and I thought for long periods we were very good," said Murphy.

"What pleased me the most was we stuck to our beliefs even when we went a goal down. We didn't chase it, we didn't hump it long, we kept passing and moving and we created chances through that and you have to be pleased.

"I would have been hugely disappointed for the boys if we had left Ferney Park with nothing so to leave with a point I'm happy."

Dungannon had shaded things in the early stages with Johnny Topley hitting the side-netting from a Stefan Lavery cross while Topley then had a well struck effort that Mallards goalkeeper Rouse had to push away for a corner.

However, as the half wore on Ballinamallard came more into the game and with 32 minutes on the clock Stuart Hutchinson put the Mallards in front.

Davy Kee's free kick ended with Hutchinson stabbing home, the goalscorer grabbing the bragging rights in the Hutchinson household as he came up against brother Grant for the first time on opposing sides.

And the hosts went close to a second four minutes later when Leon Carters met a Kee free kick but his header came back off the post.

Dungannon though finished the half well and Ryan Harpur saw a free kick spilled by Rouse which the keeper then gathered from Cameron Grieve's follow up.

Dungannon continued to knock it about well in the second half and it took a brilliant last ditch tackle by Carters to deny Topley before Mark Stafford made a great block on a Matt Hazley drive.

With eight minutes to go, Swifts got their reward when Glackin seized on a scramble in the box from a Hazley corner to slot home as the game finished all square.

Mallards manager Whitey Anderson was satisfied with the point and was full of praise for the Swifts.

"I thought that Dungannon were excellent, I thought they played some excellent football, especially in the second half," said Anderson.

"We got ourselves into some good positions but we kept giving the ball away, our ball retention was very disappointing.

"I'll be quite honest, I'm glad to get a point. I think there are managers in this league who are unable to compliment the opposition but I thought they were very good."

BALLINAMAllard United: Rouse, Keohane, Carters, Stafford, Kee, Hutchinson (Currie 70mins), Crawford, McCartney (C Beacom 77mins), McManus, N Beacom, Campbell (Leckey 60mins). Subs: Sheridan, Courtney

Dungannon Swifts: Buchannan, Lowe, Brennan, McCaffrey, Grieve, Fitzpatrick (Glackin 74 mins), Hutchinson, Harpur, Hazley, Lavery (Costello 77mins), Topley (Boyce 66mins). Subs: A Burns, McCullough.

Referee: Stephen Wallace.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph