Belfast Telegraph

Carrick for drop, Ports back in dock and Whitey quits Mallards

By Stuart McKinley

Carrick Rangers are staring at relegation to the Championship after being hit with a disciplinary charge by the Irish FA. And as a crazy ending to the Irish League season continues to throw up controversy, Portadown are to be hauled before another IFA Disciplinary Committee hearing as an investigation into the eligibility of players continues.

In a triple-whammy for Danske Bank Premiership clubs, Ballinamallard United boss Whitey Anderson has announced he will quit at the end of the season, with the club still possibly facing the second leg of a promotion/relegation play-off with Institute.

The Mallards will, however, be saved a return meeting with Stute, who they beat 2-1 in the first leg, if Carrick are put down by the IFA for breaching Article 23.1 of the Disciplinary Code.

Carrick, who finished third bottom, are in trouble after manager Gary Haveron (above) mistakenly served a three-match ban in the wrong games and appeared on the touchline for their penultimate match of the season, a 3-1 win over Dungannon, when he should have been completing the ban.

Article 23.1 reads: "Any player or official who participates in a match whilst being suspended or breaches the terms of his suspension will be sanctioned with a minimum fine of £350 imposed on the club for which he is participating. Additionally, the Club will forfeit the match by the score 3-0."

The east-Antrim outfit saved themselves from relegation by beating Ballinamallard on the final day of the season, while Warrenpoint Town finished bottom after drawing 1-1 with Dunagannon Swifts, who scored a last-minute equaliser.

Carrick will the drop to the bottom of the table if they lose the points from their game against Dungannon and be relegated, with Warrenpoint replacing Ballinamallard in the play-off.

A statement released by the IFA read: “Carrick Rangers have been charged with a breach of Article 23.1 of the IFA Disciplinary Code in relation to Gary Haveron’s presence within the technical area during the Dungannon v Carrick Rangers match on April 23, 2016.”

Carrick have until Tuesday to issue a challenge, if they wish to do so and a hearing, if required, has already been scheduled for Wednesday.

Portadown, however, aren’t yet in the clear and could still be put down by the IFA.

They have already been handed a £10,000 fine and a 12-month ban on signing professional players after being found guilty of making undisclosed payments to striker Gary Twigg, but cleared of paying Tim Mouncey as an amateur.

The Shamrock Park outfit is now facing another showdown with IFA disciplinary chiefs with regards to possible illegal payments to winger Peter McMahon.

The IFA statement continued: “At the hearing in April, the Peter McMahon case was referred to the Player Registration Sub- Committee for further investigation.

“The registration committee has now reported back to the Disciplinary Committee and, following their comments, the Disciplinary Committee has asked Portadown to attend a further hearing to deal with the issue.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph