Belfast Telegraph

Carrick Rangers 1-2 Warrenpoint: Barry Gray happy with week after edging out Rangers

By Peter Jordan

Victory over Carrick Rangers on Saturday was the culmination of a good week for Warrenpoint Town, according to their manager Barry Gray.

Their 2-1 win at Taylor's Avenue came hot on the heels of a midweek League Cup success against Lisburn Distillery and a home draw with Cliftonville, having previously failed to win any of their previous four games.

"I think every side knows it's hard coming here and we're delighted to leave with a win. Previously we may have lost a game like this but we showed character to see it out after they scored the penalty," said Gray.

"With some games it's just a case of grinding it out and showing guts and I think that's what we did today. There's no doubt it's been a good week for us, especially after last week's draw."

Town looked second best until Conor McDonald scored from close range in the 25th minute, then suddenly the visitors' tails were up and they largely controlled the game before Mark Clarke made it 2-0 with an hour played, but Carrick came back into the game in the remaining half hour and were rewarded with a Miguel Chines penalty 15 minutes from time to make it 2-1, and they very nearly levelled seconds before the final whistle when the same striker headed against the upright from close range.

Carrick manager Gary Haveron was frustrated with the result and bemoaned his team's missed opportunities.

"I wasn't happy with our finishing," said the Taylor's Avenue boss.

"We had chances and we were unlucky not to get a point at the end. They didn't create much from open play, their goals were essentially from set pieces.

"We need to win these types of games, they're bread and butter to us and a big part our survival strategy for the season."

CARRICK RANGERS: Neeson, Smyth, Traynor, Surgenor, Kelly, Harmon, McNeill, Cherry (Chines 54 mins), Roy (Miskimmin 81 mins), Cash (Mackie 53 mins), Browne.

WARRENPOINT: Shanahan, King (Clarke 53 mins), McVeigh, McDonald (Kierans 45 mins) Smyth (McCabe 81 mins), D. Hughes, Dane, Bagnall, Moan, M Hughes, S Hughes.

Referee: Ross Dunlop (Carrickfergus).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph