Belfast Telegraph

Coleraine 1 Glentoran 1

Super sub Shane Jennings secured Coleraine a last gasp point at the Showgrounds, denying Glentoran a first win in seven games.

Jimmy Callacher's first goal in seven months looked to have ended a dismal run without a win for new Oval boss Eddie Patterson but Jennings struck five minutes from the end.

The Glens were much improved in the second half but Coleraine came on strong in the closing stages and only two late saves by keeper Elliott Morris denied the home side victory.

In the first half, Coleraine's top scorer Curtis Allen mishit a shot wide after Ryan McIlmoyle had sped down the left flank, drifted effortlessly past Sean Ward and centred for the striker to produce a disappointing attempt close in on goal.

Coleraine appeals for handball against Glentoran skipper Colin Nixon were ignored by referee Raymond Crangle when the defender got his body in the way of Allen's header on the line after winger David Scullion's cross inside the box had been turned towards Allen by Morris.

The Glens made little impact in the final third but snatched the lead from a Stephen Carson corner. The ex-Coleraine man's delivery was headed past Doherty by Jimmy Callacher from six yards out.

In the second period Glentoran were much more of a threat. Towering Coleraine skipper David Ogilby threw his body at a Colin Nixon drive and substitute Andrew Waterworth cracked a shot across the face of goal late on.

But Jennings earned Coleraine a late point, striding onto Ogilby's splendid pass to slip the ball under the body of advancing Morris with 85 minutes gone.

Morris blocked McIlmoyle late on, Paul Owens sent the loose ball over and Stephen Lowry's shot was also saved by the keeper.

COLERAINE: Doherty, Canning (Watt 15), McVey, Ogilby, Scullion (Hegarty 46), Lowry, Harkin, McIlmoyle, Boyd (Jennings 46), Allen, Owens. Unused subs. Cullen (GK), Black.

GLENTORAN: Morris, Nixon, O’Kane, Ward, Callacher, Clarke, Carson (Waterworth 82), Hill, M. Murray, McGuigan (E. Murray 74), Knight. Unused subs. Martyn, Birney, McComb.

Referee: Raymond Crangle (Belfast).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph