Belfast Telegraph

Crusaders and Portadown flex their muscles in showdown

By Stuart McKinley

Crusaders hit Glebe Rangers for six to secure their place in the third round of the Wasp Solutions League Cup – but only after an early scare at Seaview. Karl Steele put Glebe 1-0 up after just three minutes before Diarmuid O'Carroll's penalty brought the Crues level.

The Shore Road men went ahead when Jordan Owens tapped home and Stephen Baxter's side took control of the game when O'Carroll hit the third.

Owens scored his second of the night when he made it 4-1 on the hour.

Substitute Kyle Dillon wasn't to be outdone. Within minutes of coming on he had joined O'Carroll and Owens on two goals after a quick-fire brace.

Former Linfield captain Michael Gault made his debut for Portadown as they won their derby against Annagh United.

Peter McMahon made it 1-0 and the Ports were 2-0 up when Robbie Garrett scored his first goal for the club since his summer move from Linfield.

Darren Murray, Mark McAllister and Chris Ramsey then increased the Ports lead to 5-0 before Matthew Paget and a Garry Breen own goal made it 5-2 at the end.

Ballinamallard United also scored five as they brushed aside Ballymoney United.

Anthony Elding's penalty put the Mallards 1-0 up and Davy Kee then doubled the lead shortly before half time.

Steven Feeney put the Mallards 3-0 up early in the second half before Elding hit his second of the night to make it 4-0 to the Fermanagh men, but the Mallards' big summer signing was denied a hat-trick when he missed a late penalty. Johnny Lafferty then added the fifth late on.

Glenavon had to come from behind to beat Lisburn Distillery 3-1. The Whites took the lead after 17 minutes through Darren Smyth, but that was cancelled out just 10 minutes later when Glenavon player-manager Gary Hamilton struck the equaliser.

Hamilton then floated in a free kick for Rhys Marshall to head home to give Glenavon the lead after 79 minutes. Andrew Hoey made sure of the victory when he scored the third in injury time.

Ballymena United also scored three in beating Newington. Tony Kane, Darren Boyce and Matthew Tipton getting the goals.

Coleraine also beat Larne 3-0, with Ian Parkhill, Neil McCafferty and Shane McGinty scoring.

Glentoran had a 2-1 win at Moyola Park. Jordan Stewart and Stephen McAlorum scoring either side of Chris Dowie's equaliser.

Institute beat Dollingstown 2-0 with Thomas McBride and Cormac Burke scoring.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph