Belfast Telegraph

Adamson goal just enough for battling Crues

Crusaders 1-0 Dungannon

By Mark Bryans

Big Timmy Adamson last night grabbed the crucial goal to keep Crusaders on title track at Seaview.

The 32-year old-struck in the first half against his former club to ease Stephen Baxter's boys to within one point of Danske Premiership leaders Linfield.

Crusaders should have had this game done and dusted. Not only were they wasteful in front goal, but they came up against an inspired shot stopper in the form of Andy Coleman.

Even though they were without the suspended Colin Coates and striker Jordan Owens, who was down with flu, it certainly wasn't a performance to suggest the Shore Road boys can last the distance in what has developed into an intriguing race for the Gibson Cup.

Paul Heatley should have shot the Crues into the lead after only six minutes. He picked up an Adamson flick and raced clear of a static Swifts defence only to shamefully shoot wide.

After soaking up all the early pressure Dungannon gave the home fans an anxious moment when Andy Mitchell's cross looped inches over the crossbar, with Sean O'Neill struggling. But seconds later, O'Neill got down brilliantly at the base of the post to beat out a Ryan Harpur free kick.

Adamson finally broke the deadlock 10 minutes from the break. Craig McClean whipped in a delicious cross from the left and the big striker rose to power in a beauty.

The lead was almost doubled, four minutes later. Tricky Gavin Whyte, who was causing havoc with his penetrating right wing runs, waltzed past Cameron Grieve and Davy Amstrong only to see Andy Coleman block his shot with an outstretched leg.

Crusaders roared from the blocks after the half time cuppa and Adamson almost grabbed his second goal when he met an Emmet Friars cross, but he hooked his shot inches past the post.

Adamson then turned provider, slipping a wonderful pass to Richard Clarke, whose rasping drive from the end of the box screamed just post the post.

The Swifts were let off the hook 17 minutes from time. Coleman managed to keep out an Adamson header following Clarke's corner and the striker could only blast the rebound against the crossbar.

With the clock ticking down, Grieve came to his team's rescue when he headed a Heatley shot off the line.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph