Belfast Telegraph

Derry left frustrated after blowing golden chance

Airtricity Premier Division - Wexford Youths 0 Derry City 0

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City missed a superb opportunity to make third place their own as they failed to break down Wexford Youths in a 0-0 draw at Ferrycarrig Park last night.

With Shamrock Rovers losing 3-0 at Cork City, Derry had the chance to move five points clear of the Dubliners, but they failed to take any of several chances.

Nathan Boyle, brought in to play alongside Rory Patterson in attack, looked desperate to grab his opportunity with both hands with a direct run and shot which saw Graham Doyle scramble the ball behind for an early corner.

Max Karner very nearly set up an early goal for the Candystripes as a superb 30-yard pass took out the Wexford defence and put Boyle through, but Doyle was off his line quickly.

However, that proved to be only a precursor to a period of early Wexford dominance as the home side looked to put pressure on City's new-look defence, and Paul Murphy should have scored but he sent a header straight at Gerard Doherty.

Derry eventually began to get a foothold and Boyle again tested Doyle, who pushed the ball behind for a corner.

The Candystripes started the second half on fire and within seconds Lukas Schubert was put through by a superb pass from Conor McCormack, but his shot flew into the side netting.

Another chance soon followed with Boyle holding his head in his hands when he was unable to finish from six yards.

It proved to be a night of regret in particular for Boyle, who again was unable to beat Doyle, and when Schubert stood on the ball in front of an open net, it was confirmed that it wasn't going to be a win for Kenny Shiels' men.

But the Candystripes may well have left Ferrycarrig Park with no points as Andy Mulligan brought a brilliant save from Doherty in added time, but in the end both sides had to make do with a point.

Wexford: Doyle, McCabe, Delaney (Bonner 20), Grace, Mulligan, Meenan, Molloy, Murphy (Porter 80), Dempsey (Kenny 90), Last, O'Connor.

Derry City: Doherty, Vemmelund, McCormack, McNamee, Monaghan (Holden 87), Patterson, Boyle (Daniels 70), Doherty, McDermott, Schubert, Kraner.

Referee: Tomas Connolly.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph