Belfast Telegraph

Duke's treble seals first Bob Radcliffe for Dollingstown

By Clive Edgar

Dollingstown lifted the Bob Radcliffe Cup for the first time in the club's history with Aaron Duke hitting a memorable treble.

Duke's hat-trick helped blow away Coagh United 5-1 and afterwards thrilled boss Stephen Uprichard said: "It's a nice bit of history for the club to win a first Bob Radcliffe Cup final.

"Aaron scored three goals to bring his tally for the season to 29. There is obviously interest in Aaron from other clubs and he has been linked with a move away.

"But today was all about the team and, to be honest, since I came into the club the commitment from the players has been 100 per cent.

"We have a big Irish Cup tie coming up with Richhill AFC then it is back to the league, so we will hope to use this trophy win as a boost."

Richard Donaghy fired Coagh in front but Dollingstown's response was emphatic. Josh Norton and captain Aaron Moffett also netted for the winners.

Meanwhile, Limavady United retained the Craig Memorial Cup for the third year running as they defeated Ardstraw 2-1 after extra time.

The junior side certainly weren't daunted by the challenge and can take plenty of positives from the game.

Samuel McKelvey had given Gary Simpson's men an early lead only for their hearts to be broken by Robbie Hume who scored late in extra time to add his and the Roesiders second of the day to secure the cup.

Ardstraw came out of the blocks quicker with McKelvey being denied by Paul Wells who also blocked Robbie Godfrey's follow-up.

In the fifth minute Ardstraw took the lead, McKelvey firing a free-kick round the wall beyond the reach of Wells, much to the delight of their supporters.

United got themselves level in the 25th minute when left back Bryan McClelland's ball into the box was met by Hume who made no mistake from close range.

Hume almost added a second moments later but he couldn't get the vital touch with the goal at his mercy.

Declan McKeever was the next to have a go for Limavady but his well struck effort flew inches over the bar.

Hume himself was denied in the 53rd minute when Andrew Gailey tipped his free kick over the bar.

The striker was a constant thorn in the Ardstraw side, with Gailey again denying him with a wonderful fingertip save.

The junior side's only clear-cut chance of the second half came through McKelvey but his shot was straight at Wells.

In the 67th minute the Ardstraw keeper continued his battle with the diminutive striker, this time blocking the striker's effort with his legs. The two sides went into extra time although neither side could carve out the goal scoring opportunity until the last few minutes.

With the game seemingly heading to penalties, Hume beat the offside trap before lifting the ball over the advancing Gailey to secure the cup for the third time.

In the Toals Bobby Dalzell Cup final, Newcastle Swifts edged out Annalong Swifts in Drumaness while Newry Celtic triumphed 3-1 over Killeavy United in the Bessbrook Cup Final.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph