Belfast Telegraph

Rodney McAree proud of Dungannon Swifts superb fightback against Portadown

Dungannon Swifts 2-1 Portadown

By Adrian Rutherford

Two late goals gave Dungannon Swifts a dramatic 2-1 victory over Portadown at Stangmore Park last night.

They scored twice in the last seven minutes to come from one goal down to heap more misery on struggling Portadown.

The Ports led going into the 83rd minute, but strikes from substitute Gary Liggett and Andrew Mitchell turned it around.

Dungannon boss Rodney McAree hailed his side's late fightback.

"I felt we deserved it on the second-half performance," he said. "We showed an intensity and a determination to try and hurt Portadown."

The Ports led at the break as 17-year-old Nathaniel Ferris marked his first start for the club in style.

He rose to meet a cross from Matty Parker, directing the ball back across the goal and squeezing it inside the far post.

They just about deserved their lead, having created the better chances in the opening 45 minutes.

Chris Casement forced Andy Coleman into a 19th-minute save, getting plenty of power and pace on his long-range free-kick.

Soon afterwards, Casement turned provider with a corner which was flicked on for Garry Breen, who crashed a bullet header against the crossbar.

Dungannon then upped their game in the second-half of the contest.

Matt Hazley forced David Miskelly into action with a rising drive while David Armstrong headed narrowly wide from Ally Teggart's corner.

The home side almost found themselves two behind, but Coleman got down to produce a brilliant one-handed stop from Sean Mackle.

It proved a big moment, as Liggett came off the bench to turn the game.

He levelled the scores with seven minutes remaining, firing home from close range after connecting with a cross from Mitchell.

He then turned provider in the 92nd minute for Mitchell, who won it with a terrific shot on the turn.



DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Coleman, Burns, Hegarty, Armstrong, O'Rourke, Fitzpatrick (Glackin, 54), Harpur, Hazley (Liggett, 75), Burke, Teggart, Mitchell (Lowe, 90).

Unused subs: Addis, Montgomery.

PORTADOWN: Miskelly, Ramsey, Breen, Oman (Judge, 56), Gault, Garrett, Mackle, Casement, Twigg, Parker, Ferris (Soares, 89).

Unused subs: Marron, Mouncey, Withers.

Man of match: Ryan Harpur (pictured)

Match rating: 7/10

Referee: Andrew Davey (Bangor)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph