Belfast Telegraph

Dungannon United weather storm for Foyle Cup title bid

By Brendan Hagan

Thunderstorms couldn't halt the Hughes Insurance Foyle Cup with 150 games taking place across venues in the north west.

The under-12 group stages concluded with the two favourties, Dungannon United and Hearts, drawn together in today's quarter-finals at Ardmore.

These teams played in the under-11 final last year with Dungannon winning 13-12 on penalties – ensuring another cracker of a game.

There was a local derby at the Riverside, Institute hosting Ballymoor.

Stute got out of the blocks quicker and had a few chances in the opening minutes. Tyler Deighan found he was unmarked in the box and headed home from close range after a dangerous corner to the back post. Deighan was the star of the show for Institute and he flashed one across the net just moments later.

The number 10 then made an excellent run from midfield and had plenty of time to pick his spot and slid it past the keeper for his and Institute's second.Institute continued in the same fashion at the start of the second half and so did their number ten. Just five minutes into the half Stute won a penalty and Deighan stepped up to complete his hat-trick, keeping a cool head to place it past the keeper.

Institute made a couple of subs and Ballymoor came into the game more and more, winning some free kicks around the box. They got what appeared to be a consolation five minutes from the end; Owen Rankin came down the left and stepped inside to curl a lovely shot past the keeper.

Ballymoor kept pushing to the end though and won a penalty with three minutes remaining.

Rankin stepped up to make it 3-2 and gave Institute something to worry about.

In an amazing turn of events, Ballymoor won another penalty with just a minute remaining. Rankin again stepped up to try to secure a late point for the Reds but his 12 yard strike crashed against the bar and deflected away from goal. It was an exciting finish at the Riverside with Institute just holding on to secure the points.

The day opened with under-13 and under-15 Cup Quarter Finals, headlined at under-13 level by a local derby at Thornhill College as Donegal Schools took on Inishowen.

It was Schools with the first chance as they won a corner but Dylan Gallagher could only head just wide from the ball in.

Another chance soon followed and this time it was James Carolan with a run down the left.

The winger made his way to the corner of the box but could only muster a tame strike straight at the keeper.

Inishowen did have a chance of their own before the half, Aaaron Colgan with a free kick from 25 yards out. The striker just clipped the bar though and it was scoreless at the break.

Inishowen pressed the Schools team back into their box and created a few chances, Luke Gavigan was solid at the back for Donegal though. The big centre half had some important last ditch tackles and made a few excellent clearing headers.

The pressure did tell with five minutes to go though as Inishowen grabbed the match-winning goal.

The ball was swept across and missed everyone only to fall to Pat Loughery at the back post.

The number eight kept his head and curled the ball across goal into the opposite corner, grabbing the vital goal and taking his team into the semi-finals. It finished 1-0 to Inishowen.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph