Belfast Telegraph

Gibson has a trick too many for the Whites

Holders Glentoran booked their place in the Paddy Power Co Antrim Shield Final thanks to a Richard Gibson hat-trick.

Lisburn Distillery played reasonably well on the night but Scott Young's side had that bit extra in the tank when they needed it — it was a ‘good night' as the Glentoran boss put it.

Home boss Tommy Wright made six changes to his side, including debuts for young goalkeeper Andrew Dickey and former Linfield striker David Larmour.

Aaron Hogg replaced Elliott Morris in the Glentoran goal and took a pair of comfortable catches from early efforts by David Cushley and Mark Cooling before Young's side scored in their first attack on 12 minutes.

Andrew Waterworth fired goalward from the edge of the box, Dickey parried the shot and Gibson had time to nod the ball over the keeper and in.

The home side had a chance four minutes later, Andy Hunter getting in ahead of Hogg but his header from Cushley's corner drifted over.

Waterworth then went close for Glentoran again, firing in a loose ball from the edge of the area which Dickey did well to turn round his post for a corner.

That early goal took what little steam there had been out of the game and, while both sides moved and passed, fans had to wait until the end of the half for anything meaningful.

Larmour stabbed Gary Thompson's cross against the visitors’ post on 42 minutes.

Then ace striker Gary Hamilton should have scored two minutes later when he headed a deep cross by Sean Ward over from six yards.

And right on the whistle Richard Clarke eluded Dickey wide left and his effort almost went in as Gibson came sliding in at the back post.

The Whites responded after the break, Larmour and Cushley going close before a great stop by Hogg on 50 minutes, the keeper stretching a hand out to turn away a powerful shot from Cushley who had outfoxed Colin Nixon.

Glentoran then increased their lead following a super-strike from Ward on 58 minutes. Clarke sent Ward down the right, he rounded Cushley and fired an angled drive from 20 yards out into the far side of the goal.

And while Ward clearly enjoyed that one, the Whites pulled one back just two minutes later, Mark Cooling drilling a great free-kick into the bottom corner from 25 yards out.

Nip and tuck or so it seemed but after Larmour had gone close with a diving header, Gibson grabbed his second on 67 minutes.

Johnny Taylor headed a corner back into a packed goalmouth and the tall striker outjumped everyone to head home.

But the former Ballymena United frontman saved his best finish

to last. Jim O'Hanlon sent him clear and Gibson claimed the match ball by firing home to make it 4-1.

Dickey then saved from Hamilton and O'Hanlon slashed over as the holders created a few more chances as the game wore on.

With four minutes remaining substitutes O'Hanlon and Kyle Cherry combined to add a fifth goal.

Cherry steered home O'Hanlon's low cross and, harsh as the

scoreline was on the home side, the Glens are comfortably through to next month's final to face either Cliftonville or Linfield who clash at Solitude tonight.

Lisburn Distillery: Dickey, Callaghan, Hunter, Ferguson, Traynor, Forsythe, Thompson (Gawley 78), McCullough (Gardiner 69), Cooling, Cushley, Larmour (Liggett 69). Subs: McShane, Hughes.

Glentoran: Hogg, Ward, Callacher, Nixon, Taylor, Clarke, Howland (Cherry 81), Hamilton, Carson, Waterworth (O'Hanlon 62), Gibson (Boyce 78). Subs: Morris,McGovern.

Referee: Hugh Carvill (Belfast).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph