Belfast Telegraph

Glenavon striker Gary Hamilton earns Blues a point at Carrick to end week on a high

Carrick Rangers 2-2 Glenavon

By Peter Jordan

Gary Hamilton was at the centre of just about everything in a 22-minute cameo appearance that restored some pride to Glenavon, having been knocked out of the JBE League Cup by minnows Annagh United last week.

The Lurgan Blues looked the better side in Saturday's game but they were almost mugged by a dogged Carrick side. The match was a fairly pedestrian affair, with the only real flair coming from the talented Joel Cooper, until the introduction of Hamilton in the 68th minute. Rhys Marshall's equaliser with just seven minutes remaining was assisted by the player-manager; he was also the man who drew the foul, and second yellow card for volatile centre-back Andrew Doyle; and he then levelled with virtually the last kick of the game.

"I think we definitely deserved something from the game," said Hamilton. "Their first-goal from the corner was well taken but I was disappointed at the way we conceded the second goal. And we should have scored before half-time to level it but we shot ourselves in the foot so I'm pleased with the fact we didn't give up."

Carrick manager Gary Haveron was also disappointed at not recording his first home league win of the season, considering the manner in which his side conceded just before the final whistle.

"I'm obviously gutted we conceded in the last 10 seconds but we're holding our own in this league," said Haveron. "We were very compact and they struggled to break us down. So I'm pleased with the performance but disappointed with the result. That's another point from a good side, and a club who are expected to do well this season, but we've dropped too many points from a winning position.

"If we want to push on we need to learn to see out these games, to take all three points by not conceding late goals when we're ahead. And if we want to seriously compete we need to learn quickly."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph